Thursday, February 2, 2012

Who the hell is this chick?

Right about now, you’re probably wondering “who the hell this chick, and why should I bother reading her crazy-ass ramblings?”

In order: I’m Jen, and I have no fucking clue. There. Now that’s out of the way.

Oh, you’d like more details? Alright, if you insist. I just, you know, hate talking about myself. *cough*bullshit*cough*

Anyways. Moving on.

So, yeah, I’m Jen, an adult (technically, at least) with the ADHD subtype Predominantly-Inattentive.  And that, right there, is why I wanted to blog about my experiences and struggles with the condition. There are a ton of ADHD blogs out there, but from what I’ve seen, the majority of them are either designed with an educational/informational bent or are from the point-of-view of parents with ADHD kids. And they were, for the most part, pretty serious, which is to say, not that funny and in some cases, boring as hell. (If you've got any recommendations for fun/interesting ADHD blogs, please share!)

Putting it right out there: I’m not claiming to know anything, aside from my own experiences. Yeah, I’ve researched the shit out of ADHD, including treatment options, its history, and its various comorbidities. But that doesn’t make me an expert.

I AM NOT A DOCTOR! Nor am I a licensed social worker. I’m a freakin’ grad student in Literature.  DO NOT take anything I say as medical advice, because I’m sure as hell not qualified to give any!1

So, if you follow my advice (not that I’m necessarily planning to give any), then you don’t get to sue me2. Cool? Cool.

And I just realized that you still don't actually know anything about me. Except the fact that I lose my train of thought on a pretty regular basis - which you could probably have guessed from the whole "ADHD blog" thing. 

Other possibly useful information:

I'm 30 years old...and seriously, how the hell did that happen? I'm married to a guy named Jay, who is way too good for me - or at least, way too sane. As I mentioned above, I'm a grad student3, getting my Masters in Literature in June, 2012.  I live in the Boston area, sharing a microscopic apartment with Jay, a neurotic cat, a weirdly nocturnal parakeet, and some rapidly procreating fish. I have a huge family, which, most of the time, is pretty awesome. ADHD runs rampant in my family, so you'll be hearing more about them if you decide to stick around.

I'm goofy and unapologetically dorky. I'm sometimes overwhelmingly friendly and stupidly4 blunt. I'm not just an open book, I'm practically a freaking PowerPoint presentation. I can be overly sensitive, but at least I recognize that. I'm not really politically correct, but I do try not to be a dickhead, even though I don't always succeed. If you find something I say offensive, I probably didn't mean it that way; I sometimes don't realize how I come off. Just point it out, and I'll probably apologize5.

Well, that was quite a flood of information for you. Hope you were paying attention; there'll be a pop-quiz later.

PS: I'm a little too proud of myself for having figured out how to add footnotes. But just look at them, aren't they pretty?




1. I’m also not a priest. So don’t take anything I say as gospel either.
2. Honestly, suing me wouldn’t get you very far anyways. Seriously, I’m shit-poor. If you’re really adamant about suing me for something, you can have my cat. But far warning: she's kind of a total bitch.  
3. Further proof that I'm insane.
4. I also like adverbs, as you may have noticed. Even when they're not real words. Maybe especially when they're not real words.
5. But sometimes, I totally do mean it that way. In those cases, the apology will probably be something like "I'm sorry you found that offensive." Fair warning.

1 comment:

  1. http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/

    I'm pretty sure she has ADHD...if nothing else she's funny as hell.

    ReplyDelete